The Westering Hills

Call me morbid, call me pale. . .

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Quick updates

I just realized that I haven't really talked much lately about diet, exercise, books, and food so here's a quick recap for those who give a shit:

Diet: I'm trying, I really am! I'm still drinking a minimum of 2 litres of water a day which I believe is enormously helpful. I'm also trying to stick to the Weight Watchers diet closely, since I did lose so much weight on it a couple of years ago, thus being a tried and true plan. I haven't been the greatest at keeping rigidly at it but I'm doing fairly well and have lost a couple of pounds already. So hurray! I'm also still avoiding processed foods as much as I can.

Exercise: I'm back on the exercise regime full force! Hitting the gym every other day, doing a minimum of 40 minutes of cardio, the Nautilus weights round, the lunges, and then a brisk 3 mile walk around the lake either before or after the gym. On the non-gym days, I'm walking around the lake twice. My ankle is hurting this week and I can't tell if it's a "good" sore or a "bad" sore so in the interest of not overdoing it and taking myself out of the regime entirely, I took today off.

Books: I just finished Luc Sante's amazing "Low Life," the history of the Bowery from the 1780s to the 1910's. It's truly a work of art; if you love history, you'll eat this up. I'm about to embark on a biography of George Washington that was in the "must read" section of the library as well as the "Hyperion" sci-fi series that my friend Price recommended.

Food: along with the previously-mentioned corn chowder, I made a low-fat tuna casserole this week. Tonight, a quinoa salad from a recipe in the Seattle Times (tried to link it but it ain't working). It feels as if we've been eating out quite a bit lately and I'd like to put the kibosh on that due to diet and finances.

There, exciting, no? No, not really! Bye!

5 Comments:

  • At 8:01 AM, Blogger annelynn said…

    Go you! You're doing fantastic on the exercise/diet regime... I shall use you as my impetus to get back into the swing of things myself.

    I am reading... nothing right now. Unless you count the anatomy and physiology textbook, which I do not. It does pain me. I found myself reading my handy dandy medical dictionary last night... a trip to the library is definitely in order.

     
  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger Binulatti said…

    Hey, RE: your Bowery book, remind me to let you borrow "Flop House" - a collection of photos of and one page interviews with otherwise homeless men who rent out rooms by the night in "flop houses" along the Bowery. It's really amazing.

     
  • At 2:28 AM, Anonymous not howard said…

    re: 'Low Life', McGurk's suicide hall is slated for demolition pretty soon. I should walk by there tomorrow and make sure it isn't already gone...

    http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%20SCENES/bowery/bowery.html

    I miss you and B... xo

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Not Howard, I read about that on that website and am very sad! I think much of the old Bowery that still existed when Luc Sante wrote that book 15 years ago is probably gone by now. Sigh.

     
  • At 2:04 AM, Anonymous Not howard said…

    I know, Shannon.

    And every day I really try to *NOT* blame you for that...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home