The Westering Hills

Call me morbid, call me pale. . .

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Polenta with Tomato-Spinach Ragout

Dear friend Anne sent this recipe to me last year--unsure where she got it or if she made it up herself--and I recall it being quite tasty! So when BW expressed an interest in a polenta dish for dinner, I pulled this recipe out with glee for tonight's rainy-day dinner. Here it is:

SOFT POLENTA WITH TOMATO-SPINACH RAGOUT


1.5 cups cornmeal
1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
3/4 cup grated Parm (or similar) cheese
4 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes
5 garlic cloves, minced
10 oz. fresh spinach, stemmed
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar to start, then more to taste (I recall using more)

1. In a medium saucepan, combine cornmeal, 1 tsp salt, and 4.5 cups of water to boil, then reduce to medium-low heat. Whisk every few minutes for about 25 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese; season with salt and pepper.

2. Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until they are brown around the edges, about 15 minutes. Transfer to plate.

3. Add remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil and cherry tomatoes to the skillet. Saute for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and half a cup of water. Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to collapse. If they are not collapsing, crush them or pierce them with a fork. Add the spinach and cook, stirring until it wilts, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, add balsamic vinegar, and season with salt & pepper.

4. Spoon the hot polenta onto plates, making a depression in each mound. Spoon spinach-tomato ragout into depression, then spoon onions on top (alternatively, mix onions back in with ragout first to reheat & then serve all together). Serve immediately.

6 Comments:

  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger annelynn said…

    This is extremely yummy. Mmm.

    I have a similar-ish recipe involving couscous... it's almost the same ingredients, but sans cheese and plus broth. Perhaps I'll put it on my own very sad blog!

    Anyway, yum. I think you told me you liked this recipe just after you made it.

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger annelynn said…

    p.s. it's kind of fun to crush the tomatoes.

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Anonymous sher said…

    Ahh, I love polenta so much!!! It's on my Top Ten Favorite List!!!

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    It turned out really good, of course, except next time I'll either make less polenta or way more ragout. Probably way more ragout. :)

     
  • At 6:27 PM, Anonymous aria said…

    mmmmmm that sounts awesome! and quite post dentist compliant which is exactly what i need.

    one more day closer to dentures,
    aria

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger pbrchicken said…

    this was good.. I bet you can do the same with those tubes of firm polenta?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home