The Westering Hills

Call me morbid, call me pale. . .

Monday, June 12, 2006

Hilarity in things nostalgic and sarcastic

Excerpt of letter from Anne to Shannon, summer 1983:

"Hello! I'm in the car on the way to HIRAM [Hiram, Ohio, where Anne's relatives lived]--YAAAAY! (whistle, clap, cheer). It's dark outside and there're some lights on in here. I'm fed up with my brother; my whole family, to tell you the truth. I won't say why; it's too ridiculous. I hope we're almost there--I'm tired and I'm not allowed to sleep 'cos they (my parents) say I won't get to bed once we get there. Right. The only reason I stay up at home is to watch Mtv. God, in Hiram, the most exciting event all day is when someone sneezes. I HATE small towns. Sigh. I feel so fat. Not only do I feel fat, I look fat, and I am fat [note: she was probably all of 110 lbs]. Hold on, I'm gonner re-read this letter.

Ok--Anne is back. Everything is making me very mad. Brian [her younger brother] in particular. His voice is driving me crazy and his big, fat, lumpy body is BUGGING, BUGGING, BUGGING THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!! AAAHHHH!! SCREEEECH! Why does my brother have such an INCREDIBLY STUPID sense of humor??? Of all the different personalities in the entire world, I HAD to get a comedian. Ha. And WHAT a comedian he IS. Ohhh, lovely. Now we're gonna look for a radio station. I just LOVE hearing the radio flip from station to station, passing (wouldn't you know it) 50 million songs I love (U2, Duran, Culture Club, etc.). Oooo, what do we finally end up with afer 15 minutes of static and 2 second blips of eligible music??? Why, my VERY FAVORITE Kenny Rogers song!!" [end page]

4 Comments:

  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger annelynn said…

    How embarrassing! Good grief. Makes me laugh, though, because I remember those dreaded Hiram trips oh so very well. Those were the rides wherein Brian would lick his hand and touch me with it, or pinch me, or that time when he spent four hours learning to whistle. I think I was nearly homicidal after that particular trip.

    Ah, memories!

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    I knew it would make you laugh, which is why I posted it. Don't worry, I plan on posting some old journal entries soon that are way more embarassing, trust me!

     
  • At 4:00 PM, Blogger Kristi said…

    Aww... so cute that you kept these letters. What neat memories.

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Anonymous sher said…

    LOL!! Well Anne--the thing where Brian licked his hand and touched you is pretty darn funny!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home